Monday, April 15, 2013

Reading the Bible… 20 Times in a Row!!

Bible reading= something I know I should do, need to do, and feel guilty about not doing enough.

I am embarrassed and ashamed to admit that I have been a Christ-follower for over two-thirds of my life and I have never been able to read the Bible in its entirety.  I have tried many times to make Bible reading apart of my daily life, but I have never been able to discipline myself to study it on a regular basis for any length of time.  Sure, I have been in church my whole life and have heard many, many teachings about God and Jesus.  I even went to a Christian college where I took classes like New Testament, Old Testament, Theology, and Evangelism.  I have done Bible studies on my own and with others, and have spent time reading daily devotionals periodically.  So, I have learned a lot, but I know there is so much more that I am missing.  I know that God has so much more waiting for me to learn if I will just open my heart up and take the time to read what is in there!

I also that know it sounds kind of crazy to say that I have actually read so little of something that I hold so close to my heart.  However, I have read and know enough about what it teaches to make me a believer.  I know that it says Jesus came to Earth, lived as a man, died a terrible death, and took my sins away through all of it.  Most importantly, I know that because of this, I am able to and do have a relationship with the God that created the universe.  I know that He really does love me and care about every detail of my life.  I know that His plans are bigger than my own.

Since I am so confident in what I do know about God, I must discipline myself to learn the Bible and  indulge myself in what else He has to teach me through it.

I really do not know why I have such a hard time staying focused on reading the Bible.  I have started from Genesis probably about ten times and have made it all the way into Leviticus a few times.  I have started in Matthew just as many times and have made it to Romans or so.  However, I can never stay disciplined enough to make it through the whole Bible.  Worse, I am quick to forget the details of what I have read when I stop.

Obviously, what I have been trying for years is not working.  When talking to Chris, he said that he has  the same problem.  Actually, he has been doing some research lately about different Bible reading plans and came across an article here that suggests reading one book at a time…20…yes 20… times in a row.

So, he asked me if I was interested in trying this method with him.  He thought I would say no because I would be overwhelmed by that big number.  Actually, I feel the opposite.  It comforts me to think that I only have to focus on doing one book at a time and being able to really learn what it is teaching me.

The article suggests starting with the the shortest book which is Third John and continuing through the New Testament in the order of shortest to longest.

So, Chris and I plan to start this method today.  There is no time limit for how long it takes us, just as long as we stay focused on reading when we can.  We also plan on journaling about what God is teaching us and sharing it with each other.  More importantly, we are praying that God will give both of us a thirst and passion for His word and that through reading it so deeply, He will reveal to us what He wants us to learn.

Do you have a Bible reading plan that works great for you?  Please share with me if you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment